Friday, December 18, 2009

Winter Stream Bridge

Solved the problem of fording a melt stream along the Deerwood trails yesterday.

It was fine to cross this ditch stream with the snow shoes, but the snowmobile wouldn't like it much with the sharp up/down on the skis. So, I grabbed some cut off 2x4 and 2x6 then set to work.




Tried to figure out how to secure the lumber in place, then it dawned on me to cement them in place using the materials at hand. I took off my gloves and started making slush out of the cold melt water and the snow. Wow, cold!! Then I pressed the slush along the wood ends on either side of the stream, and piled more snow over all of it.

I left the seasonal bridge over night to freeze and the next day it was frozen solid with water running well underneath. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment