Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Truth About Snowshoes

Warming my snowshoes by the fire.

There has been much romancing and selling of snowshoes of late in the downtown outdoors person hangs.

And in this time of heady consumption of newfangled snow walking recipes, I humbly offer a few contrarian words...

'Snowshoes Are...'

Snowshoes are not fun.
Snowshoes are hard work.
Snowshoes are like those lead shoes deep sea divers wear.
Snowshoes are apt to fall off in deep powder.
Snowshoes are like ten times harder to walk in backwards than swim flippers could ever be.
Snowshoes are good at collecting snow balls that get stuck under your boot so it's hard to walk.
Help me, snowshoes! You're my only hope!

The last week has seen about 50 cm of snow fall. In the next two days, the forecast is for another 100 cm and drifting winds. It's near impossible to keep forest trails open. I'm taking a half day off to clear the driveway, bring in some firewood, because I almost blacked out from exhaustion last evening. Started saying things like 'If I could only get a few minutes of sleep in this snow drift...'.

To sleep, perchance to freeze.

4 comments:

  1. Another thing that happens to me is getting dizzy and light headed. I was out of water - eating snow will never satisfy a thirst - and I had to decide whether to go on, down a remote, long-distance trail, or cut back to the FMO for water.

    I went back to the FMO and glad I did. Got there weak as a kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People pay good money to snowshoe on the North Shore, buddy!

    I've found they work really well in open, with a good rhythm, on snow covered ground. But the tiniest bit of underbrush poking through makes for a nightmare of snagged webbing and frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...

    The thought has crossed my mind about a hundred times or so, "Why not get outdoorsy nust to pay to tromp down this damn snow?!"

    Alas, Deerwood owner Ma Pocock likes her privacy and so the grounds remain private.

    I can understand in a way. Hell, next thing you know every Tom, Dick, and Harry'll be having snow signature compositions all over the place. Women, running around naked....

    ReplyDelete