Monday, December 21, 2009

More Trail Bridging

Had some time on my hands yesterday - waiting for the big SunBurn solstice bonfire today - so decided to work on opening up some more of the trails for winter passage.

That means crossing more semi-frozen streams. So, I set out on snowshoes through the powder to the many streams.

Here's a smaller melt stream - four feet wide
- that's partially frozen on top with fairly steep
banks on either side. I started by tossing lots of snow on
top of the passageway.


Here I do my Jesus-walk-on-water routine.
I pack the snow down into the stream, mixing
in the cold water to make slush.


Here's the wide shot of the stream again with the
snow packed down on top. I came by an hour later
and water had soaked up to form icy slush across the passage.


As the light was fading, I walked across a 15 foot wide,
1 1/2 foot deep stream. At the bank edge my
snowshoe went through the ice sheet and I
got a muddy soaker.

1 comment: