Thursday, December 17, 2009

O, Snowmobile

Just bought a snowmobile from Hardcore. Spider dropped it off with a trailer and after a bit of fun, we managed to get it onto snow.

The big news is that I've been able to run it on my snowshoe trails. Though if it drifts slightly off to one side it tends to get stuck. Got stuck about eight times yesterday. Here's a couple photos for me to remember the good times of digging it out.

My virgin bogdown.


This is right at the entrance of the driveway. Going the
180 direction, the turn was too tight and I had to
grab some air and jump onto the driveway and do
a quick turn or otherwise get stuck. Kinda hairy.


This one was pretty deep. Not fun. But not the worst.
I better get used to this routine.


My second to last bogdown. You can see how it's getting
dark. Worst case scenario with getting stuck? Walk away
start digging in the morning.


The last 'stuck' in a small depression (not shown) on the trail had me leave it over night as the light was fading. Only took about an hour and a half to get it going again in the morning.

The next test will be to see if it will tow a sled of fuelwood back to the wood shed. Then the really big question is if it will skid logs back to the mill site. These are the reasons why I've got this snowmobile - not for the fun of it - as a utility vehicle. The fact that the speedometer on it goes up to 160 km/hr and there's a warning on it that only highly skilled drivers should operate it is a bit sobering.

No comments:

Post a Comment