Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Lumberjack Bill Show: An Axe to Grind

Hi, I'm Lumberjack Bill.

On this segment of the show, I'm gonna show you the basics of sharpening an axe.

Here we look at the edge of the axe head. If you can see
the edge reflecting light (the top portion here), that means it's
time to sharpen the edge.


Place the axe in a vise or hold it firmly with one hand and use a
'mill bastard' to file down the dull edge by pushing it toward
the blunt end of the axe. Take the file off the edge on the return stroke.
Start with the coarse side of the file to shape the blade,
then use the finer side to refine the edge.


You can also use a sharpening stone. This particular stone requires
the use of sharpening oil to move metal filings away from the action.


Start with the coarser side of the stone, grinding in circular
motions, then do the same with the finer grit side.


Here's the after photo.

Now, if you're really ambitious, you could also use sharpening stones to make your axe (or adze) even sharper. I switched to the sculptor's adze for this section because it needed a tune up.

First I soak the 1000 grit and 6000 grit water stones...in water.
I let them sit for about 5 minutes. Notice how there's much more
bubbles coming out of the 1000 stone because it's more porous.
The stones soak up the water and both lubricate the sharpening
surface and help flush away metal filings in a 'slurry'.


I start by using the rougher 1000 grit stone, holding the axe head
still with graduated sweep up of the stone's flat surface
from the edge toward the back of the axe. I try to use the full
surface of the stone and flip it now and then to get even wear.
I do both sides with the 1000 then repeat with the 6000 stone.


With the axe head stoned, I do the same with the adze. As the
adze head only has a bevel on the topside, that's the only side I
stone with both the 1000 and 6000. Don't sharpen the flat underside.


The final touch is to strop the sharpened edge with apiece of leather
(e.g. a belt).
This will remove fine metal filings along the sharp
edge and hone the blade. I just like how it shines. Ready to chop!


I think I did okay for my first time with the stones. Here's hoping I get better with practice.

Until next time, this is Lumberjack Bill saying...

'Good Luck and Be Ready!'

No comments:

Post a Comment