Monday, November 16, 2009

Crime Scene?

There's a woodland clearing in Deerwood I intend to use for a slash [wood litter] bonfire on December 21st as a Winter Solstice celebration called, 'Sunburn'.

Yesterday I stopped the ATV with a haul of slash at the clearing and noticed something odd uncovered by the ATV tracks.

I've taken a series of photographs from wide angle to close up, establishing the position of my find...







Closer, you can see the top knot of a garbage bag buried in the ground. Now I wonder what to do next. Do I touch it? How long do plastic garbage bags take to break down? The ground looks undisturbed and seems naturally compacted.

Aside from an old fire pit and some broken booze bottles nearby, there's no reason why someone would bury anything on this spot. Ma Pocock thinks a neighbour's son may have burned and drank there a decade or so ago.

Why does the idea of this being a crime scene and severed body parts inside the garbage bag spring to mind? Too much crime TV I bet. If I call the cops - what do I say - "Gee, Constable, I found a garbage bag in the woods." Do I dig it up and see what's inside on my own?

Then there's another thing. Just a feeling - a feeling I don't recall having before. There's something different about this forest clearing. A strange sense about this place.

Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the start of a great horror movie - but you've got to work the guy with the chainsaw kung fu in somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a lot of hand-held night shots, of course. And it all comes down on the night of the 'Sunburn' all night Winter Solstice party in the woods.

    Some of the townsfolk wander away from the bonfire, into the woods. This after my repeated warnings that "the woods aren't safe tonight".

    But for two young lovers, it is already too late.

    And what's that inside the bonfire Old Man Bobo is burning?

    And these snowshoe tracks just just vanish....

    ReplyDelete