Monday, November 30, 2009

The Lumberjack Bill Show: Balancing Act

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The following program shows dangerous stunts performed by a professional, Lumberjack Bill. Parental guidance and caution is strongly advised with respect to all content presented herein. Lumberjack Bill (Bill Pocock) discourages anyone to use a chainsaw axe, hatchet, hand saw, any power tool, ATV, chisel, knife, and the like) unless licensed to operate, and encourages spectators to stand at a safe distance from all lumberjack activity].

It's The Lumberjack Bill Show!!!

Hi, I'm Lumberjack Bill.

On today's segment, I'm gonna show you what to do with a hung up tree. That is until things go horribly, horribly right.

Here's the pictures...

Here you can see how the cut tree got stuck like.
So, first thing I do is get the cut end on the ground by
undercutting the contact points. And with a kick or two
the cut end is on the ground. Hmm....



I start to 'walk' the hung up tree toward the hang.
I start with cutting into the trunk about waist
height from the top until the cut starts to pinch the bar.



Then I match the cut line from underneath.
After the two cut ends pinch together,
I often have to kick them apart. Maybe it would
be safer for me to throw a log at it from a safe distance....


Now normally, I will progressively cut four foot sections
off the bottom of the tree until the butt end walks vertical,
then I direct it down with a push. Unpredictable stuff.
The remaining tree can fall almost anywhere.
Dead limbs often fall on anyone underneath at this stage.



And sometimes the tree goes perfectly horizontal
and just stays there. I call it 'Balancing Act' and like
how the branches drape over the trail.

3 comments:

  1. It's those skinny little ones that cause so much trouble. In some ways the bigger ones are actually safer - when they go, they GO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Full Swedish accent] Ja, that's right!

    I dropped a big male the other day and instead of getting caught up in the crook of two other tree branches, it split the tree in half to the ground. It would do the same to me if it had a chance, brother.

    And when the big tree falls with a thud and the earth shakes. That is when it is good to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say I dropped a 'maple', not 'male'. Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete