Monday, January 4, 2010

The Lumberjack Bill Show: Chainsaw Loading

Hi, I'm Lumberjack Bill.

In today's segment, I'm gonna show you how I put the bar and chain on a chainsaw. Remember, everybody, don't handle a chainsaw unless you've been trained by an expert.

The chainsaw engine must be shut off when doing any adjustments.



The disassembled parts of a Stihl MS 260 chainsaw.


The first thing I do is place the chain into the track slot
of the bar with the chain teeth in the proper orientation.
The chain teeth travel from motor over the top of the bar,
and return to the motor on the underside of the bar.


This is the tricky part: While holding the chain tight to the bar
horizontally with one hand, the other hand sets the chain around
the motor's sprocket wheel. This wheel pulls the chain around the bar.


As I set the chain around the motor sprockets, the bar must
also be set into the chain tensioning post which is located
just to the left of the screwdriver on the MS 260.


While I still hold the loose chain and bar in position, I slowly
tighten the bar adjustment bolt with the flathead screwdriver.
This adjustment bolt is set between the two larger mounting
bolts on the MS 260, but the location may vary on different models.


With the chain tightened, but with still some play in it, I place
the chain cover into position and finger tighten the nuts to hold the
cover well in place.


Now I do a final adjustment on the bar tension bolt with the
screw driver.


I like to have about 1/4" of gap on the chain when pulled away from the
bar. I'll click off the chain break and slide the chain along the
bar track to make sure it slides back and forth easily.


Once the chain tension is set, I use my chainsaw socket tool to
firmly tighten the bolts on the chain cover.


Now the mystery chainsaw is ready to operate. I'll check the
tension on the chain (with engine off) after running it for five minutes.
The motion and heat of the chainsaw may require me to adjust
the chain tension on the bar from time to time. I pay close attention
to this. Caution and respect and for the chainsaw helps prevent injury.

That's all for now.

Just remember: a chainsaw is a potentially dangerous tool. Handle only with expert training and supervision.

This is Lumberjack Bill saying,
"Good Luck and Be Ready!"


2 comments:

  1. Interesting, and perhaps a bit intimidating.

    Have you considered changing the name of this blog to "They Call Me Safety Bastard"?

    Elmer the Safety Elephant is a really outdated character that the kids can't relate to. Today's children need a Safety Bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Safety Bastard' is a funny one.

    When I first thought up the Lumberjack Bill gig, I did consider doing a bizarre kid's show where kids were taught to do very dangerous things as if they were perfectly safe, character building. But the idea of some child - or anyone - getting hurt as a result of reading some comic post, haunted me.

    So, as Lumberjack Bill I play it pretty straight and put warning messages in bold type. I mean, I'm pretty used to chainsaws by now, but should always be treated with caution and respect.

    I've had plenty of close calls, Cobie. I don't joke about the chainsaw. Don't mean to harsh the mellow, here.

    In abyssal pools
    cherry blossoms float in still,
    upward reflection.

    ReplyDelete